Guided tours of vast underground caverns started by the Romans, which provided Beer stone used in 24 Cathedrals, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, and many other historic buildings. See for yourself where and how the stone was quarried, the appalling working conditions and dangers faced by the work force,some as young as 8 years old. See too, the site of the secret Catholic Chapel and where smugglers hid their contraband. 2000 years of heritage brought vividly to life
Seaton Tramway operates narrow gauge heritage trams between Seaton, Colyford and Colyton in East Devon's glorious Axe Valley, travelling alongside the River Axe estuary through two nature reserves and giving an unrivalled view of the abundant wading bird life.The coastal resort of Seaton is now a gateway town to the Jurassic Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, whilst the historic town of Colyton is described as "Devon's Most Rebellious Town" for its part in the Monmouth Rebellion of 1685.The company originated at the Lancaster Electrical Company of Barnet, which manufactured battery electric vehicles. In 1949 its owner, Claude Lane, indulged his hobby by building a miniature 15”gauge tram, which he ran at garden fetes. This portable system enjoyed temporary homes at St Leonard’s and Rhyl before evolving onto the 2’gauge Eastbourne Tramway.Many of the present trams were built at Eastbourne, but by the mid 1960’s the tramway’s success was outgrowing the mile line. Claude therefore began to look for alternative locations. In late 1969, Claude purchased the Seaton to Colyton section after the branchline had been closed by Dr Beeching in 1966 and, after a mammoth relocation from Eastbourne, the first section was opened in 1980. Since then the tramway has developed into one of Devon’s best loved attractions.New trams have been added to the fleet and the buildings have been much improved in order to meet the needs of the thousands of enthusiastic people who visit each year.
Cadhay, an historic Elizabethan manor of special architectural interest in the rural landscape of East DevonCadhay was built by John Haydon in 1550 on the site of an earlier house. His nephew Robert built the Long Gallery, a feature of late 16th century housebuilding, closing in the south side of the house to form a courtyard that became known as the Court of the Sovereigns because of the four statues of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth that stand over the doors.Robert was married to Joan, the daughter of Sir Amias Poulett, Privy Councillor, former ambassador to France and Keeper of Mary Queen of Scots during her imprisonment.
Exeter airport is just 5 miles east of the city centre. From the city centre take the B3183 to the M5 Junction 29, and then take the A30 east and follow signs to the airport.The Number 56 Stagecoach bus runs between the bus and coach station and the airport. The departure lounge offers comfort and style before your flight. Seating for 400, a TV, telephone and web access are provided together with Alpha Airport Shopping and the Bar Des Voyage.Alpha Airport Shopping represents terrific savings over High Street prices. In addition to the expected Duty Free spirits & cigarettes, customers can choose from a wide range of perfume, cosmetics and skincare plus gifts and treats such as sunglasses, fashion accessories,
Welcome Westpoint Arena, the South West's leading venue for exhibitions, concerts, shows and fairs. Westpoint Arena is readily adaptable for large scale spectaculars such as ice shows, equestrian events, trade shows and exhibitions. The largest capacity multi-purpose indoor and outdoor entertainment venue in the South West. 4590 sq metre column-free exhibition hall (max concert capacity 7,500), all round level access, set in 150 acres of landscaped showground, 3 outdoor arenas, xtensive free parking, 1 mile from junction 30 of the M5 motorway, close to railway network and international airport, friendly, experienced staff always available.
Founded in 1146, Forde Abbey was one of the most significant Cistercian monasteries in England during the four centuries that separated the reign of King Stephen from the Reformation. The buildings seen today were all in existence in the Middle Ages. They formed the Abbot's and monks' quarters, their kitchen, refectories, and their chapter house. The abbey church has gone, together with the guest wing and three sides of the cloisters. While the final years of so many English monasteries are remembered for their feebleness and decadence, Forde ended in a blaze of glory. Thomas Chard, the last of the thirty-two abbots, devoted much of his time and energy to repairing and reconstructing the fabric of the Abbey building.